Nipissing Serenity Hospice’s Clinical Admission Criteria are as follows; the client shall:
- Have a terminal illness
- Have a PPS of 30% or less (or aggressive life-limiting disease/illness i.e. discontinuing hemodialysis, discontinuing life-sustaining blood transfusions)
- Have a prognosis of less than 3 months
- Be a client of the NELHIN home and community care and have a valid Ontario Health Crd
- Have a signed DNR
- Understand the philosophy of care
- Consent to Hospice referral
- Reside in or have a loved one who resides in the NELHIN catchment area
- Accept to comply with the smoke-free/scent-free policy
- Have care needs that can be met within the residential care environment
Nipissing Serenity Hospice will be alerted to any:
- Communicable disease(s)
- History of abusive, aggressive, or wandering behaviours
- History or presence of family violence
If the above criteria are met, a standard referral is completed for each prospective resident by a Northeast Local Health Integrated Network Client Care Coordinator (CCC); including an assessment to determine eligibility for home care services. The Care Coordinator will notify the LHIN with respect to whether the resident is eligible or ineligible for a residential hospice bed.
The hospice Care Coordinator will further advise if a bed is available or whether the resident has been added to the referral waiting list
If a request is received from anyone other than the LHIN, the person will be advised that she/he must contact the LHIN case manager to request that a referral be made to Nipissing Serenity Hospice.
If a bed is available, the Care Coordinator will notify the LHIN and the primary care physician.
- Admission will be based on which individual has the greatest need and in accordance with the Residential Hospice Admission Priority Tool.
- Residents can be admitted 24 hours a day seven days a week.
Referral Waiting List:
When a residential bed is not available, all appropriate referrals will be placed on the referral waitlist. The Care Coordinator will review the referrals and waitlist frequently throughout the day.
For more information contact:
Lindsay Campbell BScN, RN, CHPCN(C), Care Coordinator